For patients undergoing monitored anesthesia care (MAC) or general anesthesia for their surgery, a pre-operative work-up will be needed. There is great variability to the extent of what is required for the work-up. This ultimately depends on your age and associated medical problems. In general, here is what will need to be done:
1. Complete blood count (CBC): this lab checks your red blood cell, white blood cell and platelet count.
2. Comprehensive metabolic profile (CMP): this lab checks your electrolytes, kidney & liver function, and protein levels.
3. Coagulation profile (PT, INR & PTT): this lab checks your ability to form blood clots.
4. HIV & Hepatitis serologies: these labs check your exposure to & possible infection with these viruses
5. HCG (women of childbearing age only): this lab checks if you are pregnant.
6. EKG (electrocardiogram)
7. CXR (chest xray)
8. Medical clearance examination by your primary care physician.