After your liposuction operation:
- Compression Garments – Each patient will be fitted with an compression support garment to wear after surgery. There are usually two stages to the post-operative compression garment. The stage one garment is usually a bit larger in order to accommodate the foam padding that is placed over the liposuction area immediately after surgery. Most patients will have a fair amount of swelling after surgery. Once the swelling begins to go down in the first few weeks after surgery, you will be ready to wear the stage two garment. This garment is frequently smaller and a bit tighter, and usually slips on without zippers. These garments help reduce inflammation, swelling and bruising. They should be worn anywhere from several weeks to several months. It is important to follow the Dr. Brenner’s advice on garment use in order to help maximize your results.
- Antibiotics – Each patient will be given antibiotics to start taking immediately after their operation.
- Painkillers – Dr. Brenner will most likely prescribe or recommend analgesics (painkillers) to relieve pain and inflammation.
- Stitches – Each patient will be given a follow-up appointment to have the stitches removed within one week of the operation.
- Bruising – There may be significant bruising in the targeted area. The amount of bruising is usually proportional to the amount of liposuction performed. The bruising may go on for several weeks and in rare cases for months. Post-operative bruising can be minimized by taking Arnica Montana before and after surgery.
- Numbness – Some patients will experience numbness in the area where fat was removed. This should improve within six to eight weeks.
- Results – Patients will not be able to fully appreciate the results of liposuction until the inflammation and swelling has subsided, which in some cases may take several months. Typically, most of the swelling will have settled after about four weeks and the area where fat was removed should appear less bulky.
Patients who maintain their weight can usually expect permanent results. Those who gain weight after the procedure may find that their fat distribution alters. Those who previously had fat accumulating in their hips might find that their buttocks become the new problem area. With a carefully designed operation that is followed by an uneventful post-operative course, most patients are pleased with their results.
*Photos on the post are not actual patients of Dr. Brenner.