Here are the first few steps that you can take now, in preparation for your operation with Dr. Brenner:
1. Requested labs: it is required to have your labs drawn, and EKG (if requested) NO LATER that 2 weeks prior to your surgery date. Lab work cannot be more than 6 weeks old (4 weeks if your surgery will be at the hospital). A chest XRAY may be requested if you have a history of smoking, an underlying lung disorder or other condition that may affect the condition of your lungs. If you have not had your labs drawn prior to your schedule PRE-OP day, we will either draw your blood for you or have you go to a lab close by. If you go to an outside lab, please verify with the lab that they will fax your lab results to our office. This is for your safety. Our most important priority is to insure you are completely healthy for surgery.
2. Stop smoking: Smoking reduces circulation to the skin and impedes healing. It is best to avoid smoking, second hand smoke and tobacco replacements, such as nicotine patches or gum in the peri-operative period.
3. Take supplements: Start taking multivitamins, Vitamin C twice daily and zinc to improve your general health and healing once you have scheduled your surgery.
4. Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen: Stop taking medications containing aspirin including ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve and all similar medications. Review the list of ‘drugs to avoid’ very carefully. Such drugs can cause bleeding problems during and after surgery. Instead, use medications containing acetaminophen (such as Tylenol).
5. Fill your prescriptions: You will be given prescriptions for medications. Please have them filled BEFORE the day of surgery and bring them with you the day of surgery. You will begin taking all of your prescribed medications AFTER surgery (this includes all antibiotics and pain pills).