Here are the most common questions that our patients ask about their Surgery Recovery Process.
Questions by Procedure:
- When will my drains come out after a tummy tuck?
- How long do I have to wear an abdominal binder after a tummy tuck?
- Will adding liposuction to my tummy tuck surgery prolong my recovery?
- What can I do to make my scars heal better?
- Will I have numbness after my tummy tuck?
- Is it normal to feel tightness in the area of my tummy tuck plication when doing abdominal exercises?
- Will I have drains placed after breast augmentation, revision breast surgery, or breast reduction?
- How long before I can lift heavy things or exercise after breast surgery?
- How long will it take for my breast implants to settle after breast augmentation?
- What type of bra will I need to wear after breast augmentation?
- How much will my breasts swell after breast augmentation?
- How do I take care of my surgical scars to help them heal faster?
- When do I start breast massage after implant surgery?
- Will I be bruised after my facelift?
- Will I need to wear a facial garment after my facelift?
- When will my sutures be removed after my facelift?
- When can I start wearing make-up again after my facelift?
- What can I expect with respect to swelling after my facelift?
- What can expect during my recovery from liposuction?
- How long will I be swollen and bruised after rhinoplasty?
- How long will I have tape and splints on my nose after rhinoplasty?
- Will I need to have splints inside my nose after rhinoplasty?
- Can I use cold compresses after rhinoplasty?
- Are there any medications I can take to help minimize bruising and swelling?
Skin Cancer Surgery
- When will my sutures be removed after my Moh’s reconstruction?
- What do I do if my surgical dressing becomes wet or dirty after my skin cancer repair?
- Do I need to clean my sutures with anything?
- Can I wear makeup after surgery?
Questions by Topic:
Follow-up Appointments After Surgery
- When is my first follow-up appointment with Dr. Brenner during my surgery recovery?
- How many follow-up appointments will I have with Dr. Brenner?
- I have a follow-up appointment scheduled for next week, but I am having a problem that cannot wait until then; What should I do?
Food & Medication Dos and Dont’s Before & After Surgery
- Are there any medications to avoid before and immediately after surgery?
- I know that I cannot smoke prior to surgery, but can I smoke after surgery?
- Can I drink caffeine (coffee, tea and soda) after surgery?
- Can I drink wine, beer or alcohol after surgery?
- My pain medications are giving me constipation…what can I take to help relieve my constipation after surgery?
- Can I eat a normal diet after surgery?
Hygiene After Surgery
- When can I take a shower after surgery?
- Do I need to change my dressings after surgery?
- My dressings came off…what do I do?
- Can I clean my incisions after surgery?
Returning To Normal Activities
- When can I get up and move around after my operation?
- When can I start exercising after surgery (i.e walking, running, weight lifting, pilates, dancing?
- Can I go swimming or sit in a hot tub after my operation?
- When will I be able to return to work (i.e. my job) after surgery?
- How long does it take for my surgical scars to heal?
- Will laser treatments help the appearance of my scars?
- What is silicone gel and will it help my scars?
- How important is it to use sunscreen on my scars?
- When might I need a steroid injection (Kenalog) for my scars?
- When can I start wearing makeup over my incisions?
Sleep Positioning During Plastic Surgery Recovery
- What is the best sleeping position after breast augmentation?
- Do I need to sleep with my head elevated after surgery?
- I cannot fall asleep because I am generally uncomfortable; What do you recommend?
- Do I need to stay in bed, or can I get up and walk around?
Stretch Mark Facts
- Can stretch marks be removed?
- Can procedures cause stretch marks (tummy tuck, liposuction, breast augmentation or breast reduction)?
- Are there any non-surgical ways to reduce stretch marks?
Suture Management after Surgery
- What is the difference between dissolvable and non-dissolvable sutures?
- Dr. Brenner placed non-dissolvable sutures in the skin during my operation; when will they be removed?
- I have a suture poking through my skin; what should I do?